Termination Competition 2017
In 2017, the Termination and Complexity Competition will be affiliated with the Second International Conference on Formal Structures for Computation and Deduction (FSCD) and it will take place "live" during the conference. The competition will be run on the StarExec platform.
- Tool Registration: July 31, 2017 (detail: Termination_Competition_2017_Registration)
- Problem Submission: August 14, 2017
- Updates of Registered Tools: August 21, 2017
- Competition: September 5-6, 2017
- competition https://termcomp.imn.htwk-leipzig.de/competitions/Y2017
- demonstration https://termcomp.imn.htwk-leipzig.de/competitions/67
The competition contains several categories for termination and complexity from the areas of term rewriting (all categories with HO/FO-TRSs, with- or without strategies) and programming languages (Logic Programming, Haskell, Java, C, integer transition systems, ...)
All participants in the same category will be run on a subset of the existing problems of this category. The number of problems used in the competition is not fixed and will depend on the number of existing problems. The problem selection algorithm will be the same as in previous years Termination_Competition_Problem_Selection_Algorithm. The selection is made so that the whole competition will be executed live during the FSCD 2017. There might be modifications of the rules suggested by the organizer and decided by the SC.
The wall-clock timeout will be 300 seconds, and 4 cores will be available (if a tool wants to use concurrent execution). The tools will be started in their directory and obtain
- the problem file name on the command line,
- and extra info from environment variables, cf. Termination Competition 2014 technical details
The tools are expected to give an answer (YES, NO, MAYBE) in the first line on stdout, followed by a proof in ASCII, HTML, or CPF format. Exceptions to these rules are the certified (see also the CPF-website) and complexity categories. See all existing categories for more details.
For those problems where a correct answer is (partially) known, any contradictory answer will be penalized by -10 points.
For those categories devoted to prove only termination or non-termination, the score of a tool is the number of non-contradictory answers minus the given penalization (if any).
- Jürgen Giesl, RWTH Aachen, Germany
- Albert Rubio (chair), UPC Barcelona, Spain
- Johannes Waldmann, HTWK Leipzig, Germany
- Akihisa Yamada, Universität Innsbruck, Austria
- Johannes Waldmann, HTWK Leipzig, Germany (StarExec)
- Akihisa Yamada, Universität Innsbruck, Austria (CPF and TPDB)
Participants must register
- on Starexec (so you can upload and test your solver): enter your data at StarExecRegistration, indicating the competition categories where they plan to enter tools and problems, and then upload their contributions to StarExec
- *and* with the competition's organizer, J. Waldmann (so I known what solver/configuration to use). Details will be announced here: Termination Competition 2017 Registration
Note: if I (J. Waldmann) don't know you ("knowing" is roughly symmetrical), then I will ask you to specify: what termination tool you're working on, what competition categories you plan to take part in, your affiliation (in case you're a student, also the name of your advisor/research group leader). The email address you give in the registration should be your institutional one.
We recommend to register early. After the deadline, access to StarExec might be restricted. We need time to prepare the competition, and other competitions may be running in parallel.
It is highly recommended that participants also subscribe to the termtools mailing list, because that is where announcements will be made, and where discussion takes place.
this refers to StarExec in general, and not to Termination in particular.
- user guide
- announcements and discussion (combined feed for recent messages)
- announcements and discussion (discontinued, but contains some information that is still valid and not available elsewhere)
The competition will be running on StarExec - a cross-community solver (tool) execution and benchmark (problem) library service under joint development (since 2012) at the University of Iowa and the University of Miami.
Competition data will be presented via star-exec-presenter - developed and running at HTWK Leipzig.
Technical details about the execution platform (as of 2014) can be found here.
To contact the steering committee of the termination competition, send an email to terminationcompetitionsc<at>lists.rwth-aachen.de.
The competition organizers can be reached at johannes.waldmann<at>htwk-leipzig.de
Send new problems for the competition to akihisa.yamada<at>uibk.ac.at
Changes with respect to 2016
These lists reflect the discussion in the community, and in the steering committee. Items are preliminary, and not officially binding. Please do not edit this list (unless you're in the SC). Instead, send proposals to termtools or terminationcompetitionsc mailing list, or create a new wiki page and put a link here.
- New category proposal: Certified ITS Termination