Annual International Termination Competition
During the 90's a number of new, powerful termination methods was developed. Thus, at the the beginning of the millennium many research groups started to develop tools for fully-automated termination analysis.
After a tool demonstration at the 2003 Workshop on Termination in Valencia, the community decided to install an annual termination competition to spur the development of tools and new termination techniques.
From 2004 till 2007, the competition organizer was Claude Marché, Paris. From 2008 to 2013 the competition was run by René Thiemann, Innsbruck. Since 2014, the competition organizer is Johannes Waldmann. Jobs are run on the Star Exec platform at U Iowa. Results are aggregated and displayed at HTWK Leipzig.
Currently, the competition features the following categories:
- termination of string and term rewriting
- termination of logic programs
- certified termination of string and term rewriting (since 2007)
- termination of functional programs (since 2007)
- complexity of rewrite systems (since 2008)
- termination of Java Bytecode programs (since 2009)
- termination of higher order rewriting (since 2010)
- termination of C programs (since 2014)
- termination of integer transition systems (since 2014)
- integer term rewriting (since 2014)
- termination of C integer programs
- termination of cycle rewriting
Discussion is open and primarily happens on the termtools mailing list. Decisions will be made by votes among the Termination Competition Steering Committee.
Termination Problems Data Base
The Termination Problems Data Base collects all the problems used in the competitions.
We welcome problem submissions from non-participants.
History of Termination Competitions
The following competitions have taken place:
- Termination Competition 2016 affiliated with WST (Workshop on Termination), Results of Competition. Presentation at WST